Relationships and Divorce – The Old Cat Box
Who would think that I’d be one day comparing cats and relationships; and what they had to do with arguments and split-ups.
Is the relationship grass ever greener on the other side?
The Arguments Scenario
- Now arguments are bitter and harsh
- Everything seems like it’s going to grind to a halt
- Tempers are frayed by continual arguments
- The significant other isn’t talking to you
- They’re avoiding you too
- …. Hey, look, someone else of the opposite sex is paying me attention
- …. They seem like a wonderful person … friendly … attentive … and interested
- …. Is the grass actually greener over there, with them?
A Typical Reality
- Considering most people are already ‘relationship programmed’, the chances are high that the ‘next’ person you become interested in will have the same personality and behavioural traits as the last one
- Attraction and desire progress into relationship reality i.e. the initial infatuation wears off
- You’re now faced with a very similar situation of relationship mismanagement as you were in before
- … Neat, huh?
The Difference Between The Cat and You?
Cardboard boxes don’t have feelings.
You might think it’s perfectly reasonable to hop out of one supposedly failing relationship and try out the new box (sexual pun unintended) like the cat did but the old box has long gone and moved onto their own greener pastures.
You’ve just screwed your own pooch.
Be Better Than The Cat
OK, let’s skip back to the top scenario again and try something different.
…. Hey, look, someone else of the opposite sex is paying me attention
Time for a mental reframe.
Now, internally, ask your logic brain these questions:
- Before the harsh arguments, did you love them?
- Before the current hostilities began, did you see yourself being with them forever?
- Before the bitter feud, were you happy?
If you answered even Yes to one of those questions … STOP and think about what you were about to do.
With a little tender loving care, attention and calm conversation, you’ll ride out the current arguments barrage and be back on track, to a happy and fulfilling (mostly) life with someone you do care for and love.
Your alternative is the same crappy situation you’re in now but with someone else’s life you’ll screw up as well.
Essentially flushing all that time, effort and emotion down the toilet.
Be The Better Cat, OK?
Over To You
Now that we’ve reached the bottom, here’s what you can do next:
And thanks for reading too – I’ll see you in the comments.