Can couples really overcome drastic cultural differences?

Tagged: ,

• Author
    #12485 |

Like many women, my Mr. Right is tall, dark and handsome – emphasis on the dark. Exotic men are hard to resist, but past experiences have taught me that men from other cultures can have drastically different beliefs and customs. This can cause problems.
    For example, I'm initially turned on by brown boys who love there mamas … until I realize that they also live with their mamas AND don't know how to peel a potato.

Am I being shallow? Surely, there are some cultural differences that can't be overcome – and some that can. Where does one draw the line? Thoughts? @MichaelaChung1

• Profile photo of MartinMartin
    Keymaster

Oh wonderful question, Michaela and welcome to the first and having the guts to ask a question :)

To start with, my wife is brown skinned from South African, French, Portugese hertigate – I'm white Australian. In my view, differences are what makes the world go around.

That said, no matter what the cultural background, if the person is a lazy momma boy, I seriously doubt you're going to get anywhere :)

Have you checked out a few of my posts on ‘getting your radar' tuned in properly?

Absorb that post and come back with the questions I'm sure you're going to have.

• Profile photo of MichaelaMichaela

I like how the post “Here's Why You'll Never Attract Your Ideal Partner” takes a holistic approach to identifying your desired mate.

Of course there is more to a person than his looks or his job. Yet, somehow those details are usually at the top of the list. For me, mental and emotional qualities trump the physical – guess that's why I've never clicked with dumb jocks. But, of course, I've got to be physically attracted to the guy. I'm looking for fireworks – not just a warm blanket.

• Profile photo of solomon okeresolomon okere
      Participant

@michaela very good. you really know what you want. most people look at the physical only for them to realize later that they are with the wrong person. definitely the person has to attract you physically but it goes beyond just the physical look. THUMBS UP

Keymaster

Yeah but I wanna know how the hunt for the fireworks is progressing or still only warm blankets?

Keymaster

Oh that article actually has proven methods that work. Worked for me as well as a few of the people that I've coached, wanting clarity in their future dating adventures.

The mindmapping techniques can encompass any qualities you want to keep in mind so more than just looks and a job. In fact, to get the radar tuned in, you need to cover the broad areas that are described in the article and start drilling down to less-broad specifics so your mind can gather a degree of clarity.

On the looks comment, well, of course that's going to be an initial criteria. Have you ever heard of someone hooking up with someone who revolted them? :) Looks are different for every individual.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.