How to best start in exercising for a young woman

• Author
    #17748 |

I only just saw this group and I know my bf wants me to get into a healthy lifestyle of exercise and everything else he's into. You see he's one of those gym junkies lol
    I want to make sure I'm going to start off in the right way and not follow his suggestions as his are going to be about bulking and for guys. I don't want big bulging muscles.
    Is there a real life person who really does know the difference in how a woman should start doing the gym junkie thing in the right way?

• Dana

Hi Bella,

I believe I am qualified to answer your question :)

Regardless of whether you are male or female, if you're a beginner to exercise, it's wise to start slow. But first, let me demystify a couple of things…

First – women don't normally bulk up the way men do, so strength training is great and will give you shape and lean mass. As a beginner, I would say to start doing lighter weights at 15-20 reps until it burns and progress once this becomes too easy.

Second – I don't know anything about your current starting point, but I will tell you that form is everything. If you decide to hire a trainer, even for a couple of sessions, consider looking for one who is well-qualified (either university degree in exercise science, NSCA or ACSM certified). Also check reviews.

But even more importantly – what do you like to do? Because this is the best way to incorporate healthy living.

Hope this helps :)
    And feel free to respond if you have more questions.

• Bella

oh thank you so much Dana for giving me your thoughts.
      I do like the idea of my boyfriend Eric in weights and toning. Before I start on them, I'm going to take your advice too and do a little research in good form. Always wise as you say to do some homework.
      Can I ask another question on cardio? I'm a small frame with little body fat so is cardio an important part of toning with weights?

• Dana

Hi Bella,
        Glad to help.
        Cardio is great for cardiovascular benefits. It helps to train the heart to eject more blood with each pump – therefore distributing more oxygen throughout the body. Strength training actually strengthens the outer perimeter of the heart muscle itself – making it a stronger pump. Both are great for overall cardiovascular benefits since they teach the heart to work smarter rather than harder.
        The best form of cardio for you, or anyone else to do, is to do what you like because joy is really the best way to connect with overall well-being. So – don't cycle if you hate it – but do swim if you like it. And ALWAYS listen to your body – and your instincts.
        I happen to have written a book called A Simple Guide to Exercise Safety. It's designed to help people learn about exercise safety and awareness.
        Feel free to respond with any questions. :)

• Martin
    Keymaster

Hey thanks for chipping in here, Dana. I was hoping you were going to be the one to help out Bella. I'd also suggest to Bella that she nabs a copy of your ebook as well – a solid understanding of safety is important when you're starting out.

• Bella

yes Martin. I love what Dana and you do here. We all need to invite our friends to join lol Great community. I like it better than facebook hahaha

• Anonymous

Due to some problems in my life in past, I became extremely depressed and started eating too much. In the end, I started gaining weight and my health also started declining and It was a complete mess. Fortunately, my friends and family helped me in this situation. I avoided all kinds of processed and junk foods and started eating some healthy foods especially super foods like leafy greens, lean meat, fish, nuts etc. and started exercising regularly. In just 3,4 months my weight significantly reduces and now I've lost almost all of my annoying fat.Just be consistent and determined and you can easily lose weight.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.